On Friday, May 18 2012, Mission Valley ROP hosted California State Senate Majority Leader Ellen Corbett's Select Committee on Green Jobs, Solar, Wind and Clean Technology's informational hearing for electric vehicle deployment and infrastructure.
The meeting included an informal electric vehicle "car show" with cars from a range of manufacturers- including a classic VW converted to electric power by its enterprising owner.
A wide range of consumer groups, auto manufacturers, electric utilities, charging station operators, trade associations, and electric vehicle owners advised the senator on the challenges and opportunities to expand electric vehicle deployment in California-the nation's leader in electric and hybrid vehicle adoption.
Panelist praised California's efforts to pass legislation and provide incentives that encourage the electric vehicle industry, but cited many challenges in building infrastructure such as charging stations. Future building codes could be adopted clarifying the placement of charging stations in the new construction of single family homes, apartment buildings and businesses. Electrical codes and training may need to be updated to accommodate the next generation of high voltage direct current fast charging stations. And utilities may need to improve transformer infrastructure and promote pricing structures to encourage consumers to charge their vehicles during off-peak hours.
Mission Valley ROP superintendent Pete Murchison noted that schools will play an important role in training the next generation of green collar workers and that expanding access and adoption of electric vehicles means changes not only to auto technology programs, but to construction, electrical and building trades classes as well.
State Senator Corbett explained that strong education programs are the key to keeping innovation strong as a driver of California's economy.
- Marc Geller, Co-founder, Plug-in America
- Carla Peterman, Commissioner, California Energy Commission
- Eileen Wenger Tutt, Executive Director, California Electric Transportation Coalition
- Jessica Zenk, Transportation Director, Silicon Valley Leadership Group
- Shad Balch, Manager-Environment & Energy Policy & Communications, General Motors
- John Boesel, President, CALSTART
- David Peterson, West Coast Project Manager-Zero Emission Mobility, Nissan North America
- Jan Berman, Senior Director- Policy & Integrated Planning, PG&E
- Don Campbell, Executive Director, National Electrical Contractors Association
- Dr. Sanjiv Malhotra, President & CEO, Oorja Protonics
- Terry O'Day, Director- California Business Development, NRGEV Services
- Robert Raymer, Senior Engineer, California Building Industry Association
- Pasquale Romano, President and CEO, Coulomb Technologies
Mission Valley ROP is revamping its Auto Technology program and plans to open a new Hybrid-Electric Vehicle Training Program in the near future. More information below (click the image to enlarge):